Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Ellie Rees: Intern at Mary & Milly Boutique

Ellie Rees studies at Uni, is a full time fashion blogger, and still has time to do an internship at Mary & Milly Boutique. This is a new super human breed of intern! We just don't know how someone has enough hours in the day. But instead of pondering, we asked her, along with a whole bunch of other questions (intern related of course!) This internship sounds right up our street, but we'll let Ellie do the talking…

Name: Ellie Rees                 

Age: 20

Internship: Intern at Mary & Milly Boutique

Why are you interning?

To gain experience from all aspects of a business before graduating University. Also to find out what area I like more in so I can further specialize in that area.

What is a typical day at your internship?
Monday: I update all of the company’s social media platforms, on the 3rd month of every month I get the chance to go on buying experiences to the supplier, I steam all new stock ready to be put out on the shop floor, present the shop and make promotional pieces to draw in new customers. I also source and contact models for the shoot. 



Tuesday: I’m the photographer for the boutique and take out all the new stock that has been bought from the supplier, style the outfits up, location scout & then shoot the outfits with a model. The images then go onto asos market place. 



Friday: I do some market research, seeing what’s on trend and things we need to look out for at the supplier, manage the social media, make sure all the stock is steamed for the weekend and promote the home party and shop party service as well as serving customers in the shop. 



What is the best responsibility at your Internship?
The best responsibility is being the photographer for the boutique as it’s me that’s in charge of styling the outfits, sourcing the models and getting the right shots on shoot day. This is a weekly responsibly and takes a lot of planning as I need to make sure I have the model, my camera charged and emptied SD card as well as a chosen location, outfits styled and in the right size to fit the model. It’s very rewarding seeing my photography on ASOS once the shoot is over, showing off the collection in its best light.

And the worst? 
My internship isn’t paid, so it’s just investing a lot of time & not being paid for it.

What are your aims for the future/what do you hope to get out of your Internship?
I want to increase a following on my fashion blog Your Daily Does of Style and make it more of a brand. I hope my internship will set myself up for when I go into industry so I have a wide knowledge of how a company works successfully. 

Do you feel better equipped to take on a job in your field after doing an internship?  
Very much so, I’ve currently only been in my internship for 2 months so far, and I’ve already learnt so much. It’s brought up some great opportunities and I’ve met a wide range of people including those from industry, which are great contacts.
 
What is the best thing you have learnt from interning?
I haven’t really decided which aspect of my internship I enjoy the most. At the moment I’m really getting into the social media side of it as I really enjoy the promotion element.

Interning, for or against it? And why?
I don’t think I’d ever be against interning! Its valuable experience you’re getting so I can’t see a down side to that, its preparing you to work in industry and giving you all the skills you need. The only downside to it is money, if you can get a paid internship it’s a bonus. I look at having an unpaid intership as helping me be sensible with my money & encouraging me to save more, so in every way I look at it it’s all pros in my eyes!

What’s the best piece of advice you can give to someone who is about to start an internship?
Believe in yourself & be confident in whatever you do. (Self-belief is essential!)

Do you have a website/blog/ skill/ or talent you would like to share/tell the readers about? 
I’ve got my own little space on the internet which is my blog. It’s a fashion blog about my latest outfits, buys, blogging mail and blogging events I’ve attended. I like to see it as my closet thing to a diary. I’ve only been a fashion blogger for 6 months so my blog is still growing & I’m still learning but I’m proud of what I’ve achieved so far. My blog is http://www.yourdailydoseofstyle.blogspot.co.uk/

Are our readers allowed to contact you to talk more about your internship experience? 
Yes, definitely!

If you would like to contact Ellie, please email londonfashioninterns@live.com and we will pass on your contact information.

And finally, Your social handles for our readers to contact/follow you:
Instagram : @ellierees www.instagram.com/elliereess
Twitter: @ellierees www.twitter.com/ellierees
Facebook : Ellie Rees www.facebook.com/ellierees18