Thursday, April 16, 2015

Alice Sampson: Shoe Design Intern at Camilla Elphick


Alice Sampson has been a shoe fiend since her tot years, now she's 20 and interning for the shoe designer Camilla Elphick. When we picture this internship we imagine Hillary Swank in P.S I love you, swanning around drawing beautiful illustrations of trendy heels that even Cinderella would woo at! Ok, it might not quite be like that, but we can dream! Alice tells us what it's really all about...

Name: Alice Sampson 


Age: 20


Internship: Shoe Design Internship at Camilla Elphick.


Why are you interning?


For me, interning is the best way to get a true understanding about the industry you are wanting to succeed in. I am interning with Shoe Designer, Camilla Elphick because she is young and lively with a huge creative twist on shoes, which caught my attention. I have never not thought about shoes since a very young age and it was the only piece of luxury I always bought literally every week! 

I then went on to study Shoe design and Business in which getting into the industry and learning first hand from the designer is the best possible education anyone can experience to make them believe they can succeed just like their boss did.

What is a typical day at your internship?


A typical day in Camilla Elphick’s office is firstly I always play with the dogs when I arrive. It really starts the day off relaxed, ready to tackle all the tasks. I would then set up my workspace and ask Camilla for everything she wants me to do so I can show my determination and consistency. Being there, to me, is like being at home - comfortable and familiar.




What is the best responsibility at your Internship?

The best responsibility I have from Camilla is that she trusts me researching key materials, themes and concepts for upcoming seasons. I am able to view their designs in progress and see the magic work on illustrator.


And the worst?


I could not fault anything about my internship, I am so grateful for the opportunity and I think about how lucky I am to have got it everyday.


What do you hope to get out of your Internship?

From my internship I hope to keep in contact with Camilla and always be called upon for any help needed for shows and work. I hope to be remembered by her as a great intern, that would take me further on my design path that I am creating to get noticed.


What are your aims for the future?
page1image20976
page1image21248
My aims for the future are to keep interning/working with shoe and fashion designers. I want to gain full knowledge and inspiration from designers that work religiously to create their empires brand name. I hope to become a shoe designer myself with my own brand, branching into jewellery and fashion design after acquiring the experience in the fast fashion industry.

Do you feel better equipped to take on a job in your field after doing an internship?


Most defiantly, I have a lot more confidence and knowledge than I did before which just seems so basic now that its very easy work to do, you just have to be willing to put the effort in.

What is the best thing you have learnt from interning?


There is always something to do, never stop thinking.


What would be your dream outcome from doing this internship?


Becoming a designers assistant and listening to the stories that took the designers on their path and what brought them to succeed.


How do you think you can get the most out of your internship?


I was originally meant to do a few weeks with Camilla but I asked to stay on for longer as I love being there. To get the most out of an internship you should ask to stay on for longer as the next few days/weeks are always totally different to the ones you experienced beforehand.


Interning, for or against it? And why?


I am all forces go for interning as it lets you into a world under the wing of the creator where you are able to ask direct questions about how they got there, who they worked for previously and how long it all took. You see everything in their process, you immediately feel part of their team and you get to express what you want to do in the future and get noticed.

   
And what do you think about paid/unpaid internships?

I am happy with paid or unpaid, as the true interns willing to go far in life are the ones travelling from a distance to get to the office and pay their own way to get amazing inside experience that could change their life.


What’s the best piece of advice you can give to someone who is about to start an internship?


Always say yes to everything - any task, any errand, any opportunity. This shows your determination/drive to show your capability and proves to the boss that you want to help their company go further.


Do you have a website/skill you would like to tell the readers about?


I have an 2 instagram accounts, 1 pinterest account and 2 twitter pages showing some pieces of my designs, my internship and my day to day activities that keep me entertained.
I studied ceramics from the age of 11 for 7 years throughout my schooling education at Mayfield School where I gained the Ceramics Scholarship which is the cause for my creativity and love for colour that has taken me on the path to be a shoe designer.




Are our readers allowed to contact you to talk more about your internship experience?


Yes of course!


If you would like to contact Alice, please email fashioninternfiles@hotmail.com and we will pass on your contact information.


And finally, your social handles for our readers to contact/follow you:



Twitter: alice_sampson & alice_belivani 

Instagram: @allysampy94 & @belivani 
Pinterest: alice_sampson