Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Emily Rodgers: Social Media Internship at Motel Rocks

As I am the owner of this website, it seems only fitting that I kick off these posts by talking about my experience as an Intern! This is also acting as an example of what a feature post looks like on this site. So, here you go!

Name: Emily Rodgers

Age: 22

Internship: My most recent Internship was Social Media Assistant at Motel Rocks Press Office. 

The best responsibility at your Internship: My main responsibility was to be the blogger rep, so talking to some amazing bloggers was great however I loved looking after the Motel Rocks Tumblr page the most I think! Sourcing cool photos, scheduling them and watching those followers creep up was a lot of fun!

The worst: There were no real boring bits to this internship, although dragging suitcases full of goody bags around London for LFW in the rain wasn’t very nice!

My main responsibilities: I would formulate content to post across the social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Polyvore and Tumblr. This included content and imagery. Research competitor analysis meaning I would look at our biggest competitors social media pages to see what they were doing and getting inspiration. I acted as blogger representative, dealing with sample requests, making sure the bloggers posted what we sent them on their blog, archiving this and putting it into a report each week. I briefly wrote the weekly Newsletter for the Bloggers and Street Team and I also sourced product samples from suitable brands for Events and goodie bags.

Why did you do an internship? I interned because I wanted to test the waters and see what I would enjoy before deciding on a career path. Towards the end of my internship however I was getting desperate for any sort of paid job, so I was very lucky to have got the one I did!

Interning, for or against it? And why? I think I am for interning. There is always such hoo-haa about not paying interns, but if you can’t afford to do an internship, don’t do one! It’s a right of passage in most companies, its valuable work experience and although it’s hard work which may seem to go unnoticed a lot, it is teaching you a lot. If you work hard and show enthusiasm, who knows what can come of it, and at the end of the day, you're making some good contacts for the future which is invaluable!

Are our readers allowed to contact you to talk more about your internship experience? Of course! Both of my email addresses are in the contact section of the website.