Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Katie Meadway: Editorial Assistant at Drapers

So, here's our first intern feature at LFI and it's by the lovely Katie who gives us an insight into her great experience at Drapers as well as her fashion blog. We'd like to thank her for sharing her internship views and goals. Wishing her the best of luck for the future in bagging that dream job! 


Name: Katie Meadway

Age: 20

Internship: Editorial Assistant at Drapers.

The Best experience/responsibility at your Internship: During my time at Drapers I was given the opportunity to run a feature regarding fashion industry professionals and their careers. It meant I was able to interview thoroughly interesting people, for instance, a designer at Speedo, whilst also getting a piece of my writing published in a prestigious print magazine.

The worst: Luckily, Drapers was not a standard ‘fashion’ internship. They really got me involved with all the work they needed doing, and didn’t hold off on the pressure. However, when researching for potential interview candidates, it did mean I had to send a lot of emails. It wasn’t boring by any means as I was communicating with really exciting people, but the first one or two emails got a bit repetitive due to having to ask everyone the same initial questions, before their individual responses came through. 

Your day-to-day tasks/ main responsibilities: Like I previously mentioned, responding to emails from PR contacts, other journalists as well as stockists and wholesalers, researching appropriate people to interview and feature in the magazine, and emailing. I also had to do the weekly indicator - a feature that meant I had to ring around boutiques and small individual retailers and find out their best selling products and brands. 

Why are you interning? I did a degree in Psychology, but have always wanted to pursue a career in Fashion - be it PR or journalism. Due to my initial degree choice, I felt like I needed to offer experience to make up for my lack of education in my chosen field. 

What are your aims for the future/what do you hope to get out of your Internship: My aims for the future are to become a fashion editor, preferably of a magazine or website. I am lucky enough to be starting a new job soon as a Product Editor, which is a great start on the ladder to my dream job!

Interning, for or against it? And why? This is a hard one. As a whole, I am for interning, providing you are gaining experience and actually learning, as opposed to learning how to make a good cup of tea, or how your colleagues prefer their coffee! I think there are some things that education can’t teach you, and that you really do need to experience how the inside of the industry works. For those reasons, I am for them. However, if you feel degraded, useless and unappreciated, then I would strongly encourage you to think about the length of time left at an internship and whether you are learning enough to make you feeling that way, worth it. Interns are, sadly, always going to be the bottom of the food chain, but there is a way that employers should be treating you - with respect and they should also comprehend that you have a desire to learn about their role. After all, it could be you doing their job one day! 


Do you have a website/ skill/or talent you would like to share/tell the readers about?  www.aimabovelimits.co.uk is my fashion blog that I have been running for the past two years. It predominately focuses on high-street fashion but does include features regarding Fashion Month, and something I really love looking at - the transition from catwalk to high street. 

Your social handles: Twitter: @aimabovelimits

Are our readers allowed to contact you to talk more about your internship experience? OF COURSE :)

If you would like to contact Katie, please email londonfashioninterns@live.com and we will pass on your contact information.